Thursday, October 9, 2008

Thursday: C25K - week 1b, workout 4

OK, so on the actual C25K plan, there’s no week 1b. David and I invented it. We were feeling a little beaten down by the first week and wanted a sense that we were improving by the routine seeming easier. Hence the repeat of week 1. This morning’s run was all right. I’m no longer feeling breathless for the minute of running, which amazes me. My heartrate goes up, but not as high as it was last week and it comes down much quicker during the 90-second walk. Good signs that my heart and lungs are adapting. BUT, my calves, ankles, shins, and feet are KILLING me. The first 3 rounds of running, I was alright, running about 5mph. Not too shabby. But on that 4th round of running, my shins started aching. When I slowed down to a walk, my calves felt really tight. The next few rounds my teeny tiny ankles joined the ailing as did my feet.

I’m thinking that my muscles are still adapting but probably need a good stretch before and after these workouts. I admit, I’m not that great at stretching – it kind of feels like a waste of time in the moment. I want to get going with the workout or get home to eat a banana (or maybe this oatmeal as it gets cooler). But I have a feeling my body will thank me for stretching, so it should be a part of the workout. I also know that when running, I’m throwing weight on my teeny tiny ankles (really, they are teeny) and my feet (which are wearing 3-year old shoes). So strengthening my ankles and perhaps investing in decent shoes might be important.

No comments: